Sunday, August 31, 2008

Visit to Kiwanis Down Syndrome Foundation

On the 4th of August, Fong, Pearly, Jing and me visited the Kiwanis Down Syndrome Foundation. There are no pictures! but i'll definitely go back there again next time. Lemme tell you my experience. I went there through contacting a person named Shima. The administration staffs are really friendly people! You'll know what I mean if you talked to Shima. We reached right on time thanks to CHING'S PUNCTUALITY =p Okaylar..credit to Fong and Pearly to come for this event and arranging transport to jing's house. I know it's tough arranging transport but i hope you had a hell of an experience there. Jing gets credit for entertaining me and for making an effort to come.>.<

Shima was nice enough to take us around the entire centre while explaining how each station works in the centre. I can't talk about the toddler's section coz i went with Fong to the station that teaches motor and drawing skills if i'm not mistaken. When i went there..i realised how shallow my knowledge of down syndrome children are. Blame the bio book for not saying enough and blame me for not knowing the children better myself. I'm determined to understand the children better as i wanna be a volunteer and learn special skills during my holidays (i hope)!


These children have to go through 4 different stations every 30 minutes. Each station teaches different skills needed to make the children lead to a close to normal life. This shows each and everyone of us how lucky we really are. I was volunteering there but then i dun think i did much knowing i was new and i have no special skills whatsoever..so i just followed what the teachers were doing. After the stations were done..we had to take the children to the lunch station where we have to accompany them for lunch. I have to tell you that all the children were so adorable..Yes Guys..They're cuter than me and you know i will rarely admit that but these children are just perfect angels.


During the visit..i had 2 children sticking to me quite a bit which gave me a good satisfaction that someone actually wants me. =) My friends ar..will dump me for money wan..=p now i've found friends who actually gives me love! Okay..seriously..it's just fun knowing the fact that the children felt close to you. =) ( please don't za me saying that the children have nobody's hands to hold that's why forced to hold my hands ar..or i'll kick your ass..=p) The children came over and held my hands wan ar..not i perasan >.<>

There was one really fun event that i felt interation with the children which is 'The Dance!'. The teacher played a music that they were familiar with and we all danced with the music while doing silly actions that entertains anyone! After a few songs then it was over..We were there for 2 hours and it felt like 30 minutes..(unlike Sparrow..1hour 30 minutes felt like 4 hours). All the children took their attendance by recognising their faces on the card and they all lined up to get back to their family happily waiting outside the room.


During the event, I was just glad to spend time with the children and talked to the teachers and got to know the place. At the end of the day however, I started thinking about the sacrifices the family had to make for the sake of their children. The sacrifices that they made is priceless. I don't even think they take it as a sacrifice. Love and nurturing is hard even for a child like us so do treasure our family well =).


Volunteering here was an experience worth going for. The place can't cater for many volunteers so 4 should be the max no. of friends that you should TRY to bring. You go in with nothing and come out with self-satisfaction, happiness, tiredness, feeling of understanding and all the positive signs of volunteering..(unlike Sparrow..read my post). It's also a good way to spend time with your friends as well instead of the regular 'let's go watch movie and have lunch!'.

This is the website to visit: http://www.kdsf.org.my/
Contact them! for all you know..it might give you some food for thought =)
Kinda think of it.. i feel like hugging all the children! which i didn't on that day =(
These children are more adorable than this panda that Zheng Zheng gave me..beat that! Cya!

No comments: